Tuesday 3 March 2015

How to help a toddler prepare for mum going into hospital

Ok so last Friday I got the news I have been waiting for, I have not one but two slipped discs in my lower spine :(

Which means I will be having surgery later this year, probably in July/August to cut away some of the disc that is on a nerve and causing a lot of pain. I could be in hospital anything from 2 days to a week with a good couple of weeks after in recovery and unable to pick up Michael.

I am dreading it! Not only do I hate being in  hospital, I have never spent a night away from Michael. He will be nearly 2 by that time but I really think he will feel that his mum is not there and she can't run around after him or pick him up for a while.

How on earth do you explain all of this to a toddler??

My partner should get some time off work so he will have his dad there but I was thinking of maybe getting him some little bits to cheer him up and keep him happy while mum is away. Stuff like a couple of summer toys, some of his favourite treats that he does not often get, and a build a bear dressed as a doctor so he knows where mummy has gone.

What do you guys think? Anything else I can do to make sure he is happy and comfortable? I am probably over thinking it and he will barely acknowledge I am there but I want to go into hospital knowing he is as happy as can be.

If you guys have any tips let me know in the comments below!

H.

No comments:

Post a Comment